Second hand September

I never wanted to be like everyone else... it also helps that I’m 5ft short and with loud voice and very not “Russian” looking. When folks ask me where I am from they get very surprised, I’m not tall blond and have distinctive accent... 



My step dads mum got the nice denim jacket of my choice. It was cute thing with defined waist line and looked rather unusual. But when we got home everywhere I looked I saw this jacket. Everyone wore it so for me it became a plain usual thing and not special anymore... I was upset. 


Essentially I had that Zara dress! (If you have this dress and love this dress that’s cool and good for you, there is great photo of Scummy Mummies in that dress)

So I took scissors, some little lace, needles, beads and safety pins. Writing about this make me sad that I don’t have a picture of it. 
It became a short jacket with ripped collar where the beautiful lace was pocking out. That but actually looked really really good. 
I made a lot of alterations to my clothes. I made some of my clothes. I made a lot of my jewellery. I loved it.... 
Then I moved to Europe, fast fashion is so accessible and so cheap... I stoped making things. I miss making things. Most compliments and attention I get on earrings I made myself... but lately things have changed. 
But I still love a bargain but I will rather get it second hand. Not just because I don’t want to pay say £40 for a dress that isn’t great quality but also I don’t want to contribute to landfill, give money to this particular company that don’t treat their garments workers good and well environment. So I will source some stuff second hand. Not that pants, socks, bra or tights. But I think you get much gist. 
It is not always possible, I would love to have super sustainable Veja trainers but I cannot afford it! But I make the best of what is available to me. 
And then it was second hand September campaign  from Oxfam. I signed up. And I didn’t buy new clothes for a month. Instead when I wanted to spend my cash I went treasure hunting in charity shops.  



And the treasures you can find... the little nightstand (shelf) costs only £2.99 we are currently fighting over it. Wagewood clock is for my mum, the little pots already have plants in them. Also in case you are wondering the sideboard also came second hand from my local British Heart Foundation furniture. I mean ikea is pretty good but this is special and one of the kind.
And books! Amount of cash I saved on kids books! 



But you might be wondering that non of these things are actually clothes... some of them are in wash but to the day my best second hand find is a Louis Vuitton jacket. It was some ones uniform but it is so well tailored and buttons have brand name on them. And btw the selfie above the shirt is from charity shop, lovely cotton Mango. 
So all and all shopping second hand not only good for charity shops, environment, recycling and it’s great fun it is also so frugal and good for your purse! 
I think I will have try to stick my second hand September this month too! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to the gym

Size vs hot mama bod!

Snoopies