Bupa run... My first half marathon done! And I got a T-shirt :)

So it was a very implosive race entry... I walked pass the ad for Bupa Great Birmingham run way too many times and though "Oh why da hell not!"...
But when I got the number through the post and all the bits and bobs I thought "Oh what have I done! Silly silly Daria"
But actually it was not that bad after all.
I did talk to the organizers, elite athletes and other crazy people who are running for fun. That's actually a perk working in hospitality industry...



We all were very concerned about the weather... When I got up at 6am to have breakkie it was peeing it down. I though that I needed a wet suit to run in. But the sky cleared and the sun was shining... we were actually boiling. Well I was... also that dude who run in the Iron Man outfit. Yes, full on Iron Man... yes, that dude in red and yellow...

The organisation was amazing, lots and lots of support, signs, water stations, even a shower, power station (jelly babies and vaseline) and a long long run...



Lots and lots of runners... it was 20000 of us, crazy people who love to run. I was the last wave, pink wave. My wave was with 1st time half marathon runners, none runners, people who thought they would not be very fast. Including lady who was pushing her mate in the wheel chair in support of the troops. They kept on over-taking me. Amazing!
Also I saw a dailek running, caught a glimpse of Christmas tree, Robin and Batman, also an angel and a batgirl. 
Unfortunately hubby couldn't make it to see me across the finish line so I only have few pics... 


I did keep the pace, I was very good till about 9th mile. Then my ankles started to hurt. Had to stop and stretch out. I also foolishly thought that we go tall the hills behind us... Oh silly thought that was. Last few miles between mile 10 and 12.5 was mostly up hill or just hilly. It was hard! But supporters really kept me going... They were so cool and inspiring!
There were bunches of kiddies hi-fiving the runners, they were super excited to see Santa running! 
Loud ladies' whistles for the heroic firemen doing it in their full firefighter gear... Waving nuns... happy people and dancing students with anthems blasting throw their house windows. Also mums and daughters with improvised water stations full of sugary squash drinks.
The organizers got the word out for local bands to provide the entertainment... It was one amazing race. 

When we were heading towards Broad Street, you know you must not give up now and keep on going... and then I saw this...


I never run that far! Never ever... I was super proud of my self.
Guys at work said that they saw me on telly! How cool!
When I saw organizers back in the hotel and been asked the question if I'do it again next year and nodded and kept on chewing my snickers bar.
I felt terrible in the evening. My ankles, knees and hip joints were killing... Three days later I was back to my normal self!


And I also have a t-shirt with my half marathon thing. So happy that I did not give up and am a finisher of Bupa Great Birmingham run 2013








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to the gym

Size vs hot mama bod!

new job... award a new tattoo